Image 1 of 1
6/11/2011--Coupevill, WA, USA...The Captain Whidbey Inn, on Penn Cove on Whidbey Island. The Captain Whidbey Inn is a 102 year old establishment listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The inn is located on Whidbey Island at the west end of Penn Cove just outside Coupeville, Washington...Captain Whidbey Inn was built in the fall and winter of 1906 from Madrona logs and stone found on-site by Chris Fisher and his son Edward. The post and beam construction, with the log infill, sits intact as originally built. Larry Fisher, Chris Fisher's great-grandson, still works occasionally on the inn. It was opened in May 1907 as part of a large recreation retreat then-called Still Park. The inn and park were developed by Judge Lester Still. The park also had camping, cabins, horse trails, tennis courts and a warm salt water swimming pool. A collection of pictures from that period remain in a history collection at the inn...The inn originally contained 15 sleeping rooms upstairs and a large gathering room downstairs with a two sided fire place. The fireplace was faced with native stone; it still forms the central meeting place for the inn. Daily steamers from both Seattle and Everett were the original links to the outside world bringing passengers, supplies and mail to the dock located at the eastward-facing front of the inn. Parts of the original dock and stone stairway can still be seen while walking the current pier. Automobile access was available via ferry before Deception Pass Bridge was completed in 1935; Judge Still is credited with bringing the first automobile to Whidbey Island. The vehicle can still be seen at the Island County Historical Society Museum. Over time, the Inn has variously served as a general store, girl's school, and post office. The property returned to offering accommodations open to the public in 1946....Today, the inn appears very similar to the way it was when it was built. The original wood floors are still visible in both the lobby an