6/11/2008--Winthrop, WA, USA..Chevron gas station along Route 20 in Winthrop, WA. Winthrop was officially incorporated on March 12, 1924 and was connected to the West side of the Cascades when Route 20 was finished in 1972. Winthrop is known for the American Old West design of all the buildings in town, making it a popular tourist destination. ..Highway 20, cutting through Washington State's Northern Cascades, is one of the last highways built in the state. The final stretch, connecting the west side to the east sides of the mountains wasn't completed until 1972. the road was one of the of the routes promoted by the Federal Writers Projects guides of the 1930s-1940s. ..©2008 Stuart Isett. All rights reserved.